Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The Ultimate Estate Sale Purchase

We did it.  Last Friday, we bought a new house.  Here's that crazy story.

Just a little over a month ago, we had decided to tough it out and stay in our current home for a few more years, finish some house projects, and get ready to move our family.  Literally 48 hours after coming to that decision, we found the house we would soon buy.


In early July, I hit a random estate sale like I regularly do.  When I pulled up, I quickly realized that I was in a neighborhood that I'd had a crush on since I moved back to Tulsa after college.  Beautiful ranch style, mid-century houses, homes lived in with pride, large lots, and a great location.  I'd never been in this part of the hood but was quickly won over.  As I walked up to this particular sale, I quickly noticed the For Sale by Owner sign but didn't really think twice about it since we'd chosen to stay put just a few days before.  Just a few minutes into the sale, I got a text from my dad who told me that I had to see these available digs.  We were randomly at the sale at the same time.  After finding each other, we marveled around the house together and ended up talking to the son, who was taking care of the sale and got some general answers about the house's history.  Brent did a few tours through the house the next day, with the estate sale going on, and also saw the potential.  We made an offer just 48 hours later.  Remember, not looking to move.  It was a bit impulsive.

Things continued to progress.

Being a For Sale by Owner (FSBO) house, I learned LOTS.  I mean more than I ever thought I'd know about real estate.  Talk about a crash course.  While I do think it would have been easier on the buyer's (our!) end to officially have a realtor involved in the process, there were also some really cool parts to FSBO.  In the short time that this all happened, we got to know all about the only other family that has ever lived in this house.  That's right, this is our second house to buy from original owners.  We LOVE that.  It's a quirky house that needs some TLC in many spots but more so, it's a house filled with SO much potential.  Not only is it twice the size of our (very) cramped current home, it's a house with tons of history, gorgeous mid-century modern features, an amazing yard that we can't wait to personalize, and so.much.more.

We hope to spend many, many years in this house.


We officially became this home's new owner last Friday.  We did some urban camping sans kid and cleaned into the wee hours of the morning.  We have SO much more to accomplish before we move in but luckily, we have about four weeks before we have to turn over our current home to its new owners.  Yup, our house is set to sell in just a few more weeks, hopefully.  Our luck with ALL of the house stuff has been insane...   If everything continues to progress as wonderfully as it already has, the house that we've built a family in will belong to its third family.  We're absolutely thrilled and astounded how everything has unfolded.  So surreal.

The countdown has begun and we've got a lot to accomplish before we move into our sea of harvest gold and pink.  It's crazy exciting, a little overwhelming, and quite hard to believe.  Throw work, back to teaching, and a toddler into the mix and you've got yourself a lot on the plate.  But we're always up for a challenge.  I hope.

3 comments:

  1. I've been living vicariously through you with this purchase. Lovely home, so happy for you!
    Also, owe you an apology for maybe giving it away on an instagram comment before you were ready - can I blame baby-brain? Starting to come out of the fog so hopefully won't slip up like that anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome news, Briana! I know the feeling of royally lucking into a house :) We wouldnt have been able to move if some former neighbors hadnt said "Are you still looking to sell your house? Could we buy it if so?" (and I was all like...."lemme go pack RIGHT NOW!" haha)
    I'm sure the family are so pleased to have you guys buying the place too, since they know it will be well loved and cared for. It sounds and looks amazing! And how cute is that little guy you bought it from!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! Definitely seems meant to be. Such a great find :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...